Equestrian Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» My Little Genchat #6: Season 4 is here
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 pm by Santeco

» MLP Fan Game Updates
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2017 3:32 am by Santeco

» Episode Discussion #1: Nigel Thornberry narrates MLP
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 11:31 pm by Santeco

» Gaming news Thread
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 2:53 pm by Santeco

» FiM fan Animation Thread
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 EmptySun May 31, 2015 6:18 am by Santeco

» My Little Genchat #6: Season 4 is here
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 11:30 pm by Santeco

» Post the Music Video of the Song You Are Listening to Right Now
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 1:21 am by FearlessSasuke

» My Little Pony 7 Inch Plush Fluttershy
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 7:22 am by Maffi

» Pics & Gifs Thread #1: Gasmask should spell my name with an "o" from now on
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 3:39 am by Santeco

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Equestrian Republic
Poll

Crunchy or creamy peanut butter?

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 2s98ye143%Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 23hn0wm 43% [ 3 ]
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 2s98ye157%Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 23hn0wm 57% [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 7

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!

+9
FearlessSasuke
Wolf
Santeco
Klonoahedgehog
DoctorWhoMe
GasmaskGamer
Chaos
sBastiZH
Maffi
13 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 Empty Re: Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!

Post by DoctorWhoMe Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:33 pm

GasmaskGamer wrote:Thread needs more Smash Bros.
Gas has the right idea.
But I kind of want to have a serious discussion about this. Why do a good number core traditional fighting fans get so salty about smash? As soon as it's mentioned on shoryuken, it's like a fucking blood bath. But then again any fighter not made by Capcom is torn apart there lol.
DoctorWhoMe
DoctorWhoMe

Back to top Go down

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 Empty Re: Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!

Post by sBastiZH Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Maffi wrote:all the best fighters have 360 COMMAND THROWS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Nope. They have charge moves :P

BTW, what's your name on GFWL?
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:37 pm

DoctorWhoMe wrote:But I kind of want to have a serious discussion about this. Why do a good number core traditional fighting fans get so salty about smash? As soon as it's mentioned on shoryuken, it's like a fucking blood bath. But then again any fighter not made by Capcom is torn apart there lol.
Most probably don't know about all the technical skill that's actually involved in that game (especially Melee, Brawl on the other hand took out a lot of stuff is a lot slower). And it's probably also because it's advertised and mostly played as a party game. A lot of "serious" people don't like games that require "no skill", we can see the same with shooters for example.
EDIT: Brawl also gets a lot of hate from the more dedicated Smash community and there's only tournaments hosted for melee.

Last edited by sBastiZH on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by GasmaskGamer Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Maffi wrote:
GasmaskGamer wrote:You jelly because Ryu can't double jump? umad?

Smash bros can be a fighting game when I can do quarter circles to make mario do a fireball
Can't do a wombo combo in Street Fighter.

DoctorWhoMe wrote:
Gas has the right idea.
But I kind of want to have a serious discussion about this. Why do a good number core traditional fighting fans get so salty about smash? As soon as it's mentioned on shoryuken, it's like a fucking blood bath. But then again any fighter not made by Capcom is torn apart there lol.
They're just mad that Nintendo doesn't put characters on the disc but lock them until you buy the DLC.
GasmaskGamer
GasmaskGamer
Admin

https://equestrianrepublic.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:43 pm

DoctorWhoMe wrote:
Gas has the right idea.

I think it's just because of the thing you said - Smash doesn't play anything like a traditional fighter, so folks gonna hate. I honestly don't mind Smash Bros Melee (I'm just giving it a hard time) and I used to play it semi-hardcoreish. I do have an issue with Brawl, but then again I think everyone does.

The SRK community has been all up on Skullgirls's dick though, so not all non-Capcom fighters are hated. They also generally like KOF13 I think. But yeah mostly I think it's just because Smash doesn't play like a traditional fighter.
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:44 pm

sBastiZH wrote:
Maffi wrote:all the best fighters have 360 COMMAND THROWS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Nope. They have charge moves :P

BTW, what's your name on GFWL?

I think I made the mistake of linking my account to the one I use on XBL, so that's a bit inconvenient. It's Magikarp Shiny.

sBastiZH wrote:
DoctorWhoMe wrote:But I kind of want to have a serious discussion about this. Why do a good number core traditional fighting fans get so salty about smash? As soon as it's mentioned on shoryuken, it's like a fucking blood bath. But then again any fighter not made by Capcom is torn apart there lol.
Most probably don't know about all the technical skill that's actually involved in that game (especially Melee, Brawl on the other hand took out a lot of stuff is a lot slower). And it's probably also because it's advertised and mostly played as a party game. A lot of "serious" people don't like games that require "no skill", we can see the same with shooters for example.
EDIT: Brawl also gets a lot of hate from the more dedicated Smash community and there's only tournaments hosted for melee.

I don't know if it's because they think it requires no skill that it's so hated though. I mean, people like Marvel vs Capcom 3 just fine. :3

EDIT: This is relevant: Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 Mikerossthisishowweplaymarvel
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by GasmaskGamer Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:47 pm

They don't like it because it's a mix of platformer and fighter, which is what makes it better in the first place. That, and different stages actually different rather than just changes in scenery.

Also, I prefer Brawl over Melee and play with Wiimote and Nunchuck with items on. Haters gonna hate.
GasmaskGamer
GasmaskGamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Maffi wrote:*snip*
Hmmm... Good point. But I still think that not knowing all that much about the game plays a role, the Smash community doesn't exactly stand out on the internet. Heck, I wouldn't have known about anything you can actually do in that game by just browsing GT for example, those games are just never talked about in that way really prominently, one will stumble across a fair share of threads dedicated to Street Fighter on general Gaming Forums on the other hand.

So f'in trueFighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! - Page 2 Kenflowchart

Last edited by sBastiZH on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorWhoMe Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:51 pm

sBastiZH wrote:
Makes a lot of sense. In a way it's kind of funny because Sakurai doesn't seem to want to smash to be traditionally competitive(As seen with Brawl). Which is fine with me because I think Smash is at it's best(and very arguably most balanced) with items, and four people to play with. I have Street fighter for "serious" traditional 1v1 play(even if I'm not all that great at it). However I can certainly understand the want for a well balanced tourney friendly smash.
DoctorWhoMe
DoctorWhoMe

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorWhoMe Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:53 pm

GasmaskGamer wrote:
They're just mad that Nintendo doesn't put characters on the disc but lock them until you buy the DLC.
lol
DoctorWhoMe
DoctorWhoMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:56 pm

holy shit haha
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Some more highly accurate flowcharts:

Blanka, Balrog, AI Seth
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorWhoMe Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Maffi wrote:

I think it's just because of the thing you said - Smash doesn't play anything like a traditional fighter, so folks gonna hate. I honestly don't mind Smash Bros Melee (I'm just giving it a hard time) and I used to play it semi-hardcoreish. I do have an issue with Brawl, but then again I think everyone does.

The SRK community has been all up on Skullgirls's dick though, so not all non-Capcom fighters are hated. They also generally like KOF13 I think. But yeah mostly I think it's just because Smash doesn't play like a traditional fighter.
Again makes sense. Smash is so different from most traditional arcade style fighters. It has platforming mechanics, it was made for a game pad, and the creator doesn't want it to be traditionally competitive(again as seen with brawl). What I don't get though is why this vocal minority venomously hates the series for no other reason then it not being a traditional arcade fighter. It seems rather silly in all honestly. It's like hating something just to hate it because it's different.
DoctorWhoMe
DoctorWhoMe

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:17 pm

DoctorWhoMe wrote:It seems rather silly in all honestly. It's like hating something just to hate it because it's different.
Which happens all the time. Nothing new.
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:26 pm

sBastiZH wrote:
DoctorWhoMe wrote:It seems rather silly in all honestly. It's like hating something just to hate it because it's different.

I actually think that's part of the reason why SFxT is so hated right now. People aren't used to seeing time-outs, so they hate on it. I mean, I admit, time-out victories aren't the ~*~hypest~*~ but it adds an interesting element to the gameplay, I think, where you have to focus on making combos that do a lot of damage but also that don't take a lot of time.
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorWhoMe Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:35 pm

sBastiZH wrote:
lol true. Oh well, I guess I'll be enjoying both the SF, and Smash series while they stay salty. No biggie really.
DoctorWhoMe
DoctorWhoMe

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Although SSF4 AE is fun, the matchmaking is beyond atrocious. Either literally every other person in the world is better at this game than I am (because I never, EVER see any other D-ranked players), or the matchmaking is absolutely awful.
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Are you mainly playing ranked? There's mainly "average" players there I think (1500-3000PP area), if you're looking for people with less or more points, I feel like Endless mode is actually a much safer bet, maybe host your own game there. And there's a fair share of sub 1000 PP players on PC at least, dunno how active it still is on consoles.
BP mean very little, they mainly show how much someone plays...

I also never use the "quick game" option but always manually search for lobbies.
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:26 pm

Maybe that's the problem... I always hit quick game because, I guess, that's the obvious option?? I never actually tried endless, I'll try it next time.
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:34 pm

I promised some Melee vids. Here's two, I'll see if I find other cool ones

Edit: Have a 3rd one. That should give a good overall idea how much of a fighter this game actually can be instead of "just" a party game.
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by GasmaskGamer Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:47 pm

^ Good stuff, man.
GasmaskGamer
GasmaskGamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:53 pm

sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Yeah, Melee is pretty rad.

Still doesn't have 360s or 720s though :3
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by GasmaskGamer Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:03 pm

At least Melee has Pokeballs.
GasmaskGamer
GasmaskGamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:14 pm

True, Pokeballs were the shit.

Still, until Smash Bros lets me do stuff like this:

I will not be as hype for it as I am for more traditional fighters.
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next