Equestrian Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» My Little Genchat #6: Season 4 is here
Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years EmptyWed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 pm by Santeco

» MLP Fan Game Updates
Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years EmptyTue Jan 17, 2017 3:32 am by Santeco

» Episode Discussion #1: Nigel Thornberry narrates MLP
Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 11:31 pm by Santeco

» Gaming news Thread
Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 2:53 pm by Santeco

» FiM fan Animation Thread
Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years EmptySun May 31, 2015 6:18 am by Santeco

» My Little Genchat #6: Season 4 is here
Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 11:30 pm by Santeco

» Post the Music Video of the Song You Are Listening to Right Now
Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 1:21 am by FearlessSasuke

» My Little Pony 7 Inch Plush Fluttershy
Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 7:22 am by Maffi

» Pics & Gifs Thread #1: Gasmask should spell my name with an "o" from now on
Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 3:39 am by Santeco

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Equestrian Republic
Poll

Crunchy or creamy peanut butter?

Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years 2s98ye143%Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years 23hn0wm 43% [ 3 ]
Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years 2s98ye157%Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years 23hn0wm 57% [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 7

Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years

+2
GasmaskGamer
Maffi
6 posters

Go down

Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years Empty Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years

Post by Maffi Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:26 pm

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403589,00.asp

Welp, they had a good run, looks like it's time for Nintendo to pack up and go home
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years Empty Re: Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years

Post by GasmaskGamer Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:21 pm

I realized a while ago that investors are morons when it comes to the gaming industry, especially Nintendo.
Investors wrote:Nintendo is doomed but they should make Mario into an iPhone App lololololololololololol
GasmaskGamer
GasmaskGamer
Admin

https://equestrianrepublic.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years Empty Re: Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years

Post by Maffi Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:23 pm

GasmaskGamer wrote:I realized a while ago that investors are morons when it comes to the gaming industry, especially Nintendo.
Investors wrote:Nintendo is doomed but they should make Mario into an iPhone App lololololololololololol

ok, but on the other hand,

Nintendo wrote:
METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by GasmaskGamer Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Maffi wrote:
Nintendo wrote:METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO METROID ZELDA MARIO

That's the same with every publisher out there. At least Nintendo has a sense of spacing.

Sony: Hey (any Sony dev studio), Uncharted/God of War/Killzone/Resistance is a huge hit! I expect two sequels within the next four years. Oh, and we need some portable versions too.

Microsoft: Halo's been a huge success, Bungie! Over the next ten years you'll be making two more sequels, a spin-off, and a prequel. And when you finally get fed up us, we're going to bring in a new dev to slaughter the precious world you've created with a new trilogy!

Activision: We need one Call of Duty each year.
Treyarch: We can't really... do that...
Activision: Alright, we'll hire another dev studio and you two can switch off.
Four years later.
Activision: We need two Call of Duty's each year.
Treyarch: Uh...
Activision: We're bringing in two more dev studios.

EA: MADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDENMADDEN

If your dev studio is owned by a publisher and your game is a success, you're doomed to making sequels once every two years (or less). That or they'll kick you out and find a new studio and you'll sit and cry from a distance as they completely ruin the world in which you poured your heart and soul, running your game series into the ground and completely destroying any story arc that you were planning.

Sad and sickening, really.
GasmaskGamer
GasmaskGamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorWhoMe Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Maffi wrote:http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403589,00.asp

Welp, they had a good run, looks like it's time for Nintendo to pack up and go home
New Super Mario Bros. 2 on Vita confirmed!
DoctorWhoMe
DoctorWhoMe

Back to top Go down

Post by rockshard Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:49 pm

we'd all like to see Nintendo taken down a notch but investors are total morons
rockshard
rockshard

Back to top Go down

Post by GasmaskGamer Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:51 pm

rockshard wrote:we'd all like to see Nintendo taken down a notch but investors are total morons
Who's we?
GasmaskGamer
GasmaskGamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorWhoMe Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:54 pm

GasmaskGamer wrote:
rockshard wrote:we'd all like to see Nintendo taken down a notch but investors are total morons
Who's we?
This.....
DoctorWhoMe
DoctorWhoMe

Back to top Go down

Post by rockshard Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:00 pm

sorry, I misread the other posts here

but you know some people do.

anyway check out how dumb this article is
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/25/2975252/a-failing-nintendo-needs-to-shake-things-up-tomorrow-analysts-say
The ubiquity of gaming seems to be the biggest issue facing the company. Gamers don't just game on a couch anymore; they game in cars, on trains, planes, beds and, yes, even on toilets. (In fact, according to one survey, five percent of 15,000 gamers polled said they game on a toilet.) While Nintendo has portable devices, the DS and 3DS, it hasn't created a system that allows gamers to switch easily between their portable offerings and their at-home one. The Wii U, due out later this year, apparently won't address that issue either.
rockshard
rockshard

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:24 pm

GasmaskGamer wrote:
If your dev studio is owned by a publisher and your game is a success, you're doomed to making sequels once every two years (or less). That or they'll kick you out and find a new studio and you'll sit and cry from a distance as they completely ruin the world in which you poured your heart and soul, running your game series into the ground and completely destroying any story arc that you were planning.

Sad and sickening, really.

Sure, a many (maybe even most?) do, but then again, I guess that's why I don't play that many games. Or at least, I play less than a lot of more dedicated gamers do. I might be interested in Nintendo again if they actually try something new and interesting, instead of just "Zelda... but with WII-MOTE FIGHTING!" or "Mario... but in a tanooki suit??"

Not trying to hate on Nintendo or anything. All I'm saying is that it's been a long, long time since I've been excited for a Nintendo release.

rockshard wrote:sorry, I misread the other posts here

but you know some people do.

anyway check out how dumb this article is
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/4/25/2975252/a-failing-nintendo-needs-to-shake-things-up-tomorrow-analysts-say
The ubiquity of gaming seems to be the biggest issue facing the company. Gamers don't just game on a couch anymore; they game in cars, on trains, planes, beds and, yes, even on toilets. (In fact, according to one survey, five percent of 15,000 gamers polled said they game on a toilet.) While Nintendo has portable devices, the DS and 3DS, it hasn't created a system that allows gamers to switch easily between their portable offerings and their at-home one. The Wii U, due out later this year, apparently won't address that issue either.

I game exclusively on my bed and couch, tyvm
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by GasmaskGamer Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:26 pm

I game solely in a shed in my backyard. Unless Nintendo can provide me with a gaming experience that allows me to easily transition from my shed to not my shed, they will surely go bankrupt.
GasmaskGamer
GasmaskGamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:45 pm

I game mostly sitting in my chair in front of my desk. And on long train rides with handhelds.
I don't really see any point in playing in very short bursts. Those "fast food" games people play on their Iphones for 2-5 minutes at a time are not what I'm interested in.

Anyways, on topic:
Not like Nintendo is in any trouble, seeing how much money they made with the Wii and DS. While I don't own a Wii and very little games for my DS, I have played pretty much every Mario and Zelda at least for a bit with friends and I don't really care about them recycling the same franchises over and over again. Everyone does it, almost no one constantly keeps such high quality.
I'm also fairly sure the WiiU will do at least decent.
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by rockshard Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:00 pm

speaking of gaming on a couch I had a realization recently
well it's part realization part theory

there is no point for consoles to exist except for motion controls or multiplayer.
Motion controls wasn't til this gen but ever since NES there was multiplayer and this feature has been kind of neglected when I think about it. All console titles should have had multiplayer as a core component.

That said I'm trying to figure out the mindset behind the writer of that article.
What is his vision exactly.
I guess he ultimately thinks people play only one game at a time? Any more is too much for one human to handle?
Yea that's perhaps the most reasonable explanation I can think of, as it's remotely understandable.
rockshard
rockshard

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorWhoMe Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Maffi wrote:

Sure, a many (maybe even most?) do, but then again, I guess that's why I don't play that many games. Or at least, I play less than a lot of more dedicated gamers do. I might be interested in Nintendo again if they actually try something new and interesting, instead of just "Zelda... but with WII-MOTE FIGHTING!" or "Mario... but in a tanooki suit??"

Not trying to hate on Nintendo or anything. All I'm saying is that it's been a long, long time since I've been excited for a Nintendo release.

I understand where your coming form, but....
We barely get those games every 7 years or so(they operate on valve time), and they still manage to do more interesting things than most of these new modern "AAA" blockbuster wannabe Hollywood games that come out every year or so. Skyward Sword wasn't just Zelda with motion controls, and 3Dland wasn't just Mario in a tanooki suit. They brought many new concepts to their respective franchises. Plus Nintendo does release a lot of interesting, and new stuff. It's just usually never localized(or ignored by most on the handhelds), which(from the outside looking in)makes it look like aren't taking any "risk".

Last edited by DoctorWhoMe on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoctorWhoMe
DoctorWhoMe

Back to top Go down

Post by rockshard Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:21 pm

someone posted this chart on another site

image:
Nintendo Posts its First Ever Operating Loss in 40 Years Nintendo-apple-sales-comp-annual
rockshard
rockshard

Back to top Go down

Post by GasmaskGamer Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:30 pm

^ I'm sure that has absolutely nothing to do with the DS and 3DS not being cellphones.
GasmaskGamer
GasmaskGamer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:36 pm

DoctorWhoMe wrote:
I understand where your coming form, but....
We barely get those games every 7 years or so(they operate on valve time), and they still manage to do more interesting things than most of these new modern "AAA" blockbuster wannabe Hollywood games that come out every year or so. Skyward Sword wasn't just Zelda with motion controls, and 3Dland wasn't just Mario in a tanooki suit. They brought many new concepts to their respective franchises. Plus Nintendo does release a lot of interesting, and new stuff. It's just usually never localized(or ignored by most on the handhelds), which(from the outside looking in)makes it look like aren't taking any "risk".

Maybe, but then it's not getting me excited for any of their games as a non-Nintendo gamer, so that's another problem in itself. Then again I don't get hype for many games in general.
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by DoctorWhoMe Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Maffi wrote:
Maybe, but then it's not getting me excited for any of their games as a non-Nintendo gamer, so that's another problem in itself. Then again I don't get hype for many games in general.
Well there you go right there Maff. Most non Nintendo gamers aren't going to be interested in anything Nintendo does anymore. If you don't care for most of their established IP's then you probably won't ever care about them in general.
DoctorWhoMe
DoctorWhoMe

Back to top Go down

Post by rockshard Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 am

GasmaskGamer wrote:^ I'm sure that has absolutely nothing to do with the DS and 3DS not being cellphones.
on 2nd thought yea the chart is useless, it's almost like saying ''oh wow automobile sales are up, I guess this means people will stop getting around using their ATV's and boats''
rockshard
rockshard

Back to top Go down

Post by placeholder7 Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:02 pm

I expect this to happen with other companies like Sony and Microsoft soon. Console gaming is dying, and PC gaming is becoming more popular.
placeholder7
placeholder7

Back to top Go down

Post by rockshard Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:12 pm

placeholder7 wrote:I expect this to happen with other companies like Sony and Microsoft soon. Console gaming is dying, and PC gaming is becoming more popular.

It is?? How would you know that.

I wonder why. Maybe because consoles tried to become PC's too much. But I bet this wouldn't have happened if offline multiplayer wasn't as neglected.
rockshard
rockshard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down