Equestrian Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» My Little Genchat #6: Season 4 is here
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! EmptyWed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 pm by Santeco

» MLP Fan Game Updates
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! EmptyTue Jan 17, 2017 3:32 am by Santeco

» Episode Discussion #1: Nigel Thornberry narrates MLP
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! EmptySat Oct 22, 2016 11:31 pm by Santeco

» Gaming news Thread
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 2:53 pm by Santeco

» FiM fan Animation Thread
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! EmptySun May 31, 2015 6:18 am by Santeco

» My Little Genchat #6: Season 4 is here
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! EmptyWed Nov 12, 2014 11:30 pm by Santeco

» Post the Music Video of the Song You Are Listening to Right Now
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 1:21 am by FearlessSasuke

» My Little Pony 7 Inch Plush Fluttershy
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 7:22 am by Maffi

» Pics & Gifs Thread #1: Gasmask should spell my name with an "o" from now on
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 3:39 am by Santeco

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Equestrian Republic
Poll

Crunchy or creamy peanut butter?

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! 2s98ye143%Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! 23hn0wm 43% [ 3 ]
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! 2s98ye157%Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! 23hn0wm 57% [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 7

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!

+9
FearlessSasuke
Wolf
Santeco
Klonoahedgehog
DoctorWhoMe
GasmaskGamer
Chaos
sBastiZH
Maffi
13 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! Empty Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!

Post by Maffi Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:18 am

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! Shoryuken

I know we got a couple fighting games players here, so this is the place to chat about fighting games, and anything at all related! 2d, 3d, whatever!

I only recently really got into fighting games - I played Street Fighter II as a kid on the SNES but you know I was a kid and I didn't know how to do quarter circles or anything. But last year I picked up UMvC3 and really started to dig it. Now I got my own modded MadCatz fightstick and everything (my bro modded it for me actually - and also it's his stick technically but he doesn't play fighting games so...) Right now I'm playing 5 different 2d fighters: SSFIV AE 2012, UMvC3, SFxT, KOFXIII, and Skullgirls. I love them all for different reasons and I think they're all great games.

Anyway, yeah! Fighting games! I'll be updating the OP as needed or upon request.

Fighting Game Resources:

SRK: one of the biggest fighting game communities on the web. Lots of fighting game news (including stream links and videos) get posted on the front page. The forums have a wealth of info on both fighting games themselves and related topics like learning how to mod your own stick. Be sure to check out the wiki - they have useful guides on lots of different games.

EventHubs: another large fighting game community and site. It has news, guides, and forums. Also, EG's Justin Wong posts articles there titled 'Step Your Game Up', although on an irregular basis. Check it out!

CrossCounter: a show about fighting games and the fighting game community. One of the hosts, Gootecks, left a few weeks ago to visit the north pole. Mike 'Mike Ross' Ross is still around though.

TeamSp00ky: a tournament streaming giant.

iPlayWinner: another streamer of tourneys.

The Online Warrior: Maximilian is known mostly for his MvC3/UMvC3 stuff, but he also did some SC5 and SFxT stuff too. He also does a show called 'Assist Me!' He's not like a high level player and he doesn't do high level analysis or anything, but he does cover stuff that's more useful to beginning fighter-game players like myself. Also, they can be pretty entertaining in general.

UltraChenTV: commentators/tourney players James Chen and UltraDavid do analysis. UltraChenTV hosts 3 weekly shows: First Attack, Level 3 Focus, and the Tuesday Show.

Level|Up: hosts Wednesday Night Fights (SSFIV AE 2012 and SFxT tourneys) and The Runback (KOFXIII and UMvC3 tourneys) weekly on Wednesday and Thursday nights respectively.

Last edited by Maffi on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! Empty Re: Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!

Post by sBastiZH Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:30 am

I only really play SSFIV AE. But this one very extensively. It goes to the point of discussing every bit about frame data and stuff with my friend who is also really into the game and with whom I play a lot. I'll probably upload some matches between me and him sometimes. I really enjoy finding out new ways to improve my gameplay and see the results of it, I'm very competitive in that game.

I do not play on Arcade Stick though. I play with a PS3 controller, it works just as well and I don't really feel like learning stick. A few very advanced things like plinking are easier to do on a stick, but since I don't play a very technical character, that is no biggie.

I found my main (Bison) by simply trying out every character in online play and seeing whom I do best with. I love having a very mobile character, so he was a great choice. I never really practiced in training room or visited forums to get tips or something, I enjoyed finding out stuff myself while playing and observing what others do and trying to incorporate that into my gameplay. Only when it got to the point that I couldn't improve anymore with that method I started learning about frame data in detail and tried to learn a few more difficult combos in training room to improve my damage output (since Bison's isn't that high to begin with). I've also made my playstyle way more aggressive, I used to be very defensive.
By now, that has gotten me pretty high up in the rankings on PC. I'm currently top 2 Bison and hovering around the top 40-80 players area.

If there were any tournaments in my area, I'd be all over that, but sadly there just doesn't exist a scene where I live.
There was a pretty big tournament in the French speaking part of Switzerland sometimes last year though, a few of the Japanese top players also were there. I remember I took 2 rounds of Sako in free play and would have almost won a match against him.
In the tournament itself I only lost to Fei Long players... of which there were 2 pretty early on lol,I just didn't know the matchup too well and I've improved quite a bit since then. I really want to attend one again, but it's all so far away and atm I don't have the money to travel anyways Disapproving

I myself don't record replays, so I can't show you my best matches, but here's some decent ones uploaded by other people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRMDqeFvE10#t=5m14s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vmvo0WiIX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pekP388oDdc#t=6m46s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lOTLu7VVmU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmszBqAzM9k#t=5m51s
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! Empty Re: Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory!

Post by Maffi Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:16 am

Looks like sticking to your guns paid off Basti, your play is like a hundred levels above my own. I can't even imagine playing against someone like Sako. Well, actually, I can, but it ends with me getting bodied Tongue
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:54 am

Well, as I said, it was "only" free play. I'm pretty sure it would've been a bit different in an actual tournament match.But still, not too many people got that close and only one other guy managed to actually win a match.

And I'm fairly sure you'd beat me at pretty much all of the other games you've listed ;)
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:51 am

James Chen is teaching me about frame traps and soon UltraDavid will be talking about Skullgirls. Yaaaaayy http://www.twitch.tv/ultrachentv
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:58 pm

sBastiZH wrote:By now, that has gotten me pretty high up in the rankings on PC. I'm currently top 2 Bison and hovering around the top 40-80 players area.
I just made it into top 30 Happy -yay-
Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! SSFIV2012-04-1802-56-45-60

BTW, Maf, you might want to also put Eventhubs into the OP.
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:38 pm

Congrats Basti!!

Also, done. I don't visit EventHubs often so I forgot about it, sorry Tongue
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaos Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! 0kEie
Chaos

http://steamcommunity.com/id/M_bison

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:27 am

Crawler.... ASSAUUUUULT

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting SSF4 AE for the PC, cuz my roommate hogs the 360 all day... hmm.
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:31 am

Maffi wrote:Anyway, I'm thinking about getting SSF4 AE for the PC, cuz my roommate hogs the 360 all day... hmm.
DO EEEEET
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:45 am

$40 on Steam... I guess that's not too bad
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:48 am

Maffi wrote:$40 on Steam... I guess that's not too bad
Seems kinda expensive... I'm guessing retail would actually be cheaper.

Edit: Yes, it would
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:51 am

Actually, now that you mention it, I just checked Amazon.

edit: yep.

edit 2: order placed. Fuck yeah!
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:55 am

Maffi wrote:Actually, now that you mention it, I just checked Amazon.edit: yep
I didn't even pay 40 USD when I bought that version retail soon after it launched... and games are generally more expensive over here.

BTW, bookmark this: http://sf4mods.pbworks.com/w/page/5097096/FrontPage
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:03 am

sBastiZH wrote:
Maffi wrote:Actually, now that you mention it, I just checked Amazon.edit: yep
I didn't even pay 40 USD when I bought that version retail soon after it launched... and games are generally more expensive over here.

BTW, bookmark this: http://sf4mods.pbworks.com/w/page/5097096/FrontPage

I can turn Zangief into Heavy Weapons Guy?? Hell yes!
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:10 am

You'll have to do some extra work if you want to mod costumes made for Vanilla SF IV into SSFIV AE, since the files are packed differently in the 2 versions. There's an SSFIV section on the site as well, but there's far more modded costumes for SF IV.

Just drop me a PM or something if you need some help at some point.
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Blanka is dumb. Fuck Blanka.

That is all.
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Copy/pasta from the general chat thread because it is relevant:

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! 933962-WC8I59E
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by GasmaskGamer Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Thread needs more Smash Bros.
GasmaskGamer
GasmaskGamer
Admin

https://equestrianrepublic.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Excuse me but Smash Bros is not even a fighting game.
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by GasmaskGamer Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:15 pm

You jelly because Ryu can't double jump? umad?
GasmaskGamer
GasmaskGamer
Admin

https://equestrianrepublic.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! Scaled.php?server=201&filename=tiger

Maffi wrote:Excuse me but Smash Bros is not even a fighting game.
SSB Melee disagrees
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:25 pm

GasmaskGamer wrote:You jelly because Ryu can't double jump? :umad:

Smash bros can be a fighting game when I can do quarter circles to make mario do a fireball

sBastiZH wrote:Fighting Games Megathread: Fighting with Conviction Leads to Victory! Scaled.php?server=201&filename=tiger

Maffi wrote:Excuse me but Smash Bros is not even a fighting game.
SSB Melee disagrees

melee was a fun party game but a fighting game?? i don't know bro
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by sBastiZH Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:29 pm

Maffi wrote:melee was a fun party game but a fighting game?? i don't know bro
There is in fact a pretty big community for Melee. My friend (the one with whom I play Street Fighter a lot) is Switzerland's top2 player in Melee. I'll ask him to give me some links to some videos showcasing how awesome and skillful (without items obviously) Melee actually can be and post them here.
sBastiZH
sBastiZH

Back to top Go down

Post by Maffi Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:31 pm

all the best fighters have 360 COMMAND THROWS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Maffi
Maffi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next